Preamble: The Senate Athletics and Recreation Committee holds that good physical, psychological, and social health stems from a proper balance of athletics and recreation in concert with other campus activities (formal studies, generating knowledge, artistic creativity, collecting, storing and disseminating information) that are traditional parts of American universities and colleges. The Committee is therefore concerned with fostering a healthful balance of physical and mental amenities for all university members. The committee is particularly concerned with the physical and psychological health of all student-athletes, the general student body, faculty and staff active in athletics, sports, and fitness in the University.
Mission: The mission of the Athletics and Recreation Committee is to promote the health and well-being of university community members including student-athletes, general student body, faculty and staff through review and oversight of intercollegiate athletics, club and intramural sports and recreational activities.
Functions of the Athletics and Recreation Committee:
- Reviews and provides direction and recommendations on policies and procedures that relate to the overall student-athlete experience and comprehensive excellence in intercollegiate athletics.
- Reviews reports and make recommendations to ensure academic and athletic integrity and success as well as career planning and development activities for student athletes. This includes reports related to:
- Athletic admissions, academic counseling and support services, academic progress and graduation rates and academic integrity issues for intercollegiate athletics.
- Individual, team and overall athletic success, including Athletic Directors Cup Standings.
- Participation in life skill development activities and community service activities.
- Understands student-athlete experience through interaction and engagement with the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee.
- Receives annual and/or other specialized reports pertaining to intercollegiate athletics, club and intramural sports and recreation. This includes reports relating to:
- Finance and budget including ticket sales and fund-raising
- Athletic and recreational facilities
- Participation in club and intramural sports and recreational activities
- Promotes participation in health and wellness activities throughout the university community including students, faculty and staff.
- Serves as a conduit of information pertaining to athletics and recreation to the broader university community including students, faculty and staff.
- Provides annual and/or special reports pertaining to athletics and recreation to the University Senate and Faculty Assembly.